We were delighted to welcome Alex Chalk MP this month to officially open The Pitstop , our new Sixth Form café and snack bar, following a tour of the school with headteacher, Mr Jefferies. The newly opened café provides a vibrant social space for students to work and relax. Serving barista style coffee and hot drinks, hot and cold snack food, including bacon sandwiches, paninis, pizzas and salads, the café will be open throughout the day during school hours. ‘The Pitstop’ 50s diner themed branding was selected following a Year 12 competition to name the new space.
Cheltenham Bournside School has revealed early plans for a new green garden space to mark the 50 th anniversary of the school site on Warden Hill Road. The plans will transform the concrete space that many students and parents, past and present, will remember as the Quad. Existing paving across 644m2 of the Quad will be lifted, to be replaced with established trees, shrubs and raised planting areas to soften the outdoor space. Artificial lawn will be laid to ensure the space can be enjoyed by students all year round, with plenty of shade and group seating areas for students to both work and socialise outside.
Cheltenham Bournside School is joining a national campaign, led by the British Dyslexia Association, to raise awareness about dyslexia amongst its students, staff and supporters, as well as promoting its learning support services to students who may need additional assistance to fully realise their potential. Dyslexia Awareness Week (4th - 10th October) is an annual event aimed at further understanding dyslexia; what it means, what it is and what can be done to support people who have it. Dyslexia is a difference in the brain that affects how it processes information. Research states that 1 in 5 of us are dyslexic and the classrooms of today can often inhibit dyslexic children and it can be a difficult place for them to thrive.
As part of our commitment to promoting student leadership, we are proud to announce the appointment of our new team of 12 Senior House Captains for the 2021/22 academic year. Taking on the key student leadership role during their important A level year, are: Attenborough Ben Parkins Molly Gould Frank Alex Robinson Shannon Kelly Hawking Parsa Yamani Anna Maddocks Owens James Maddocks Isobelle Clemmens Parks Alfred Herve Millie Kadwell Rowling Archie Woods Florence McDermott Following an interview process, the new Senior House Captains were selected for their ambition for the role, their record of achievement in the life of the school, their attitude to learning, as well as excellent records of behaviour, attendance, punctuality and uniform. The Senior House Captains are prominent role models for students across the school. Their role includes actively assisting in the promotion and running of House events, representing the school at community events, and playing a key role in assemblies.
We are delighted to welcome applications for the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels of the Duke of Edinburgh (DofE) awards scheme from our students this week. Three assemblies will take place opening the Bronze scheme to Year 9 students, the Silver scheme to Year 10 and 11 students, and the Gold scheme to year 12 and 13 students. Over 1000 students have achieved a DofE Award at Cheltenham Bournside School to date and have benefited from a wide, rich set of experiences. More on those coming soon!
This week, we have welcomed a wide range of employers into the school, to hold practice interviews for our Year 11 students. Practice interviews are a fantastic chance for students to experience what a real interview would be like, in terms of format and questions. These interviews help our students to learn how to answer difficult questions, develop interview strategies, improve their communication skills, and to build professional relationships and confidence. Thank you to all of the business leaders involved.
Thank you to all of those who attended our Open Evening on Thursday, 16th September - we hope you had a fantastic evening getting to know our school and finding out what it is like to be a part of the Cheltenham Bournside School community. Visitors were able to have a go at a wide range of activities, ranging from fitness testing in our brand new Fitness Suite, coding in our modern Library, and language tasters in Modern Foreign Languages, to tasting food samples in the dining centre, exploring our music and drama departments and seeing our product design equipment in action. If you weren't able to join us for the Headteacher's Talk, or just wish to see it again, a recorded session can be found below. It's not to late to come and visit our school.
256 students were celebrating on the 12th August after picking up a fantastic set of GCSE results. A message from Headteacher, Mr Jefferies: "It has been a brilliant morning of celebration. Today's GCSE results reflect our students' hard work and dedication throughout a time of unprecedented disruption. This year, grades were awarded by the students' teachers and rigorously checked by the senior leadership team and the exams boams. We can be confident, therefore, that the grades received are the grades these diligent, resilient young people deserve.
Students and staff at Cheltenham Bournside Sixth Form are celebrating the outstanding achievements and destinations of their Sixth Form students today. Steve Jefferies, Headteacher said; “I’d like to congratulate all of the students of Cheltenham Bournside Sixth Form for their hard work, determination and resilience in achieving great results despite a year of unprecedented disruption. 169 Sixth Form students have collected A level and Level 3 BTEC results and what we celebrate today are their destinations; over 90% of them have secured places on their first choice university course or degree level apprenticeship, whilst others are looking forward to starting their careers. "Following an extremely rigorous process in awarding these grades, I and the exam boards who verified the results, are confident that these results accurately reflect our students’ achievements, ability, and diligence.
"Welcome to our virtual summer concert, which celebrates and showcases the musical talent of our amazing students. The students have worked so hard over the past two terms, preparing for what we'd hoped would be a live concert. Unfortunately Covid restrictions have got in the way. In its place however, we are delighted to bring you a virtual concert filled to the brim with incredible work.
- 24th Cheltenham Bournside School students celebrate "best ever GCSE results" in line with the top 20% of schools in the country
- 17th A Level students celebrate fantastic results and new destinations at Cheltenham Bournside School
- 16th Student Ministries relaunched to aid a strong student voice
- 2nd 'Jazz it Up' at Cheltenham Jazz Festival
- 16th Sister Act cast and crew take audiences to heaven with 'best school production' yet!
- 6th Students showcase best of Cheltenham Bournside Sixth Form
- 17th Pupil welfare and academic achievement is at the heart of Cheltenham Bournside School community, says Ofsted
- 15th Introducing our Senior House Captains for 2022/23
- 9th Year 7 music evening
- 8th Supporting our Community at Christmas
- 25th Cheltenham Bournside students celebrate GCSE success
- 8th Cheltenham Bournside Sixth Form students celebrate record breaking exam success
- 11th Outstanding academic achievement and progress marked with new Honours boards
- 1st Sport Awards 2022
- 30th Chapel Arts lunchtime recital
- 23rd Chelsea's Choice
- 17th Cast and crew 'blow audiences away' with outstanding production of Joseph
- 15th Student success in international maths challenge
- 11th Graphic novel competition winners
- 7th Sixth Form Music Evening
- 4th Exemplary readers afternoon tea
- 17th Diversity celebrated with the appointment of nine new EAL Ambassadors
- 14th 100+ students kickstart their Duke of Edinburgh Award expedition training
- 11th Over 400 new trees planted at our school!
- 2nd Bournside girls’ rugby team host and play their first EVER competitive game
- 15th Boost Project
- 14th ‘Take one designer’, Alexander McQueen Fashion Museum workshop
- 8th Finn invited to join GB Elite Training Squad
- 6th Sixth Form students take artistic inspiration from London Galleries
- 29th Chapel Arts Lunchtime Recital
- 24th Supporting our local community this Christmas
- 19th ‘ChangeMakers’ Project Launch
- 15th Anti-Bullying Ambassadors line up at Cheltenham Bournside School to stamp out bullying together
- 15th Our first music performance of the year! Year 7 music evening
- 10th Sixth Form sport relaunched with new kit sponsor and renewed ambition
- 9th Students prepare to take to the stage with Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat
- 20th Alex Chalk MP officially opens new Pitstop Sixth Form Café
- 13th Golden Anniversary Garden planned for Cheltenham Bournside School’s 50th Anniversary Year
- 4th Cheltenham Bournside School joins in with Dyslexia Awareness Week
- 29th Introducing our Senior House Captains for 2021/22
- 28th Duke of Edinburgh Award applications open
- 21st Practice interviews help students prepare for future success
- 16th Open Evening 2021
- 12th Celebrating GCSE Success
- 10th Sixth Form students achieve top tier university places and higher degree apprenticeships