Cyber at Bournside
Cybersecurity is embedded within Bournside and continues to grow exponentially.
We have been working hard to collaborate with the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), along with other national and local companies and organisations who share the aim of encouraging young people to engage with computer science and the application of cyber security in everyday technology.
Led by Head of A Level Computing, Mr. Gulliver, and supported by staff across the school including maths, modern foreign languages and careers, this year we have already engaged in a number of exciting projects:
- Empower Cyber Girls: Over 50 Year 8 girls joined over 1,000 girls from across Gloucestershire to take part in the NCSC Cyber First Girls Competition, with 20+ supporting industries and industries running interactive cyber workshops to inspire the next generation of talent.
- CyberFirst: Year 9 girls competed in Cyber Trailblazers which is one of the many levels CyberFirst offers.
- Cyberfest: Sixth Formers have taken part in Ethical Hacking and meeting Cyber Security industry representatives, benefitting from career advice from individuals working in the industry.
We are planning events in collaboration with Gloucestershire College and CyberFirst, utilising their state-of-the-art IT and cyber training centre, ADA: The Advanced Digital Academy, which works to bring education and industry together, and selected year groups will be invited on trips to the National Science Museum and the home of the codebreakers, Bletchley Park. We are also looking forward to the second stage of Cyber Adventurers which takes place in February, and hosting the second full Year 7 Cyber and STEM Activity Day in the summer term.
Further opportunities include:
- Cyber Club - open to all
- Cyber Girls Coding Club - open to girls in all year groups
- Cyber Explorers - open to all
- After-school computing revision sessions - Wednesdays
There is lots more in store too. Watch this space!